Punahou libero Kate Yoshimoto signs with Colorado State

Kate Yoshimoto will head to the Rocky Mountains next year to play for Colorado State. 

Joining her on letter-of-intent signing day are Kim, Dean and brother Jon. 


The future is about altitude for Punahou volleyball player Kate Yoshimoto. 


The senior signed with Colorado State on Wednesday, putting her pen to paper during the letter-of-intent event hosted by Education-1st on Zoom and Facebook Live.


“Yesterday’s signing was an amazing experience and it was even better than I expected. The moment is still surreal in my mind. I have been verbally committed to CSU for about a year and to finally make it official was so exciting for me, my family and everyone who supported me,” Yoshimoto said. “Right now, I am extremely grateful that I have this opportunity and thankful to everyone who has helped me get here.” 


Punahou coach Tanya Fuamatu-Anderson is looking forward to Yoshimoto’s senior season on the hardwood. 


“What I love most about Kate is that she is selfless! With Kate, it’s always team above self. She’s that kid that will run through walls for you and her teammates. She doesn’t tell you what hard work is. She shows you what it is,” she said. “She’s a well-rounded kid, arguably one of the top liberos in the state, a 3.8 student, a beautiful hula dancer and so much more. Her teammates have the utmost respect and trust for her and that speaks volumes!” 


Yoshimoto is one of many high schoolers who doesn’t exactly embrace the early-morning hours. Letters of intent are official as of 7 a.m. nationwide, so the event began at 6:20. 


“I am not a morning person at all, but knowing I was waking up to sign made it much easier to get out of bed. The night before, I had a hard time falling asleep because I was so excited for the morning,” she said. “I always train hard and prepare myself for the rigor of college ball, but it does feel different knowing that it’s finally official and finally real. It’s a really good feeling that a lot of hard work through my life has come together and I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to continue playing the sport I love.” 


The program also had its allure. 


“One of the main things that drew me to CSU was the family culture they create. They call themselves a ‘Ramily,’ combining their mascot and the word family. When I went on my visit, all the players were nice and welcoming, and I fell in love with the school and the academic opportunities they have. The coaches were also a big reason why I chose the program. They were also very welcoming and I know that their style of coaching will help me to improve every day,” Yoshimoto said. 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. Friends.

2. Remember the Titans.

3. The Blind Side.


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Acai bowl, Cove Health Bar and Cafe. 

2. Cup Noodle.

3. Smoothie. 


Top 3 music artists

1. Stevie Wonder, “For Once In My Life.”

2. Kelly Clarkson, “A Moment Like This.”

3. Billy Joel, “She’s Always a Woman,” “Just the Way You Are.” 


New life skill: Calligraphy.


Bucket list

“I want to travel anywhere I can around the world, but I really want to go to Europe, Paris or Rome. They have such a rich culture and beautiful places.” 


Time machine

“If I could travel in time, I would want to travel back and see older singers perform when they were in their prime, such as Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston and many more. I love real music unlike some music nowadays. I would love to go back in time to experience that.” 


Who will the first to cry at the airport? 

“My mom will definitely be the first to cry at the airport. She has supported me throughout my whole volleyball career and never discouraged me in anything I did. She already cries sometimes when she thinks about me leaving and I know I’ll have to call her often.” 


Shout outs

I would like to shout out my parents, Dean and Kim Yoshimoto. They have always supported me in everything I do and pushed me to be the best I could. Also, my club coach, Barney Choy. He has helped me to become the player and person I am today. My coaches, teachers, teammates, family and friends have all played crucial roles in my life and I am grateful to all for supporting me through my journey.”


Comments