Roosevelt's Fayth Kawamura ready for new chapter at Hiram College

Florence Kawamura saw her daughter, Fayth, sign
a letter of intent to play softball at Hiram College, Ohio. 

Fayth Kawamura would love to time travel and watch Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. deliver his iconic "I Have A Dream" speech.

Kawamura made one of her own dreams come true through sheer effort in the classroom and on the diamond. The Roosevelt senior signed with Hiram College on Wednesday, prepared to make some minor sacrifices to follow her dream. Kawamura has a 3.7 grade-point average and intends to major in Biological Engineering.

“I feel very relieved and happy for what is up next for my future. I am excited to see what I am able to do and accomplish in the next possible four years,” she said. “My mindset changed being that I have been in a mindset of a high schooler. Just trying to survive and make good grades just to get a good gpa for scholarships and doing everything to make the minimum. Having signed now, my mind has clicked and I am more focused on that I finally realized that going to college will help me get to my career while also being able to play the sport I am in love with.

“It is surreal to me that I am able to achieve this. I am emotionally excited but also very nervous that the rest of my life relies on my next few years and what I do with the years given to me,” she added.

Her Na Wahine Softball Club coach, Alex Takemura, is not surprised about her achievements.

“Fayth is very mature and self-motivated. Her composure gives her the ability to stay focused and overcome the obstacles that both life and softball throw at her. She’s worked very hard to get where she’s at today," he said. "It has been a pleasure to coach her and we are all very proud of her.”

The shortstop/outfielder was leaning toward a program like Hiram.

“I love the coaches and program that Hiram College provides where nothing is given to you and that you have to earn everything that you want. This way when achieving something it feels way better because you have earned it,” she said. “The program is also academic-oriented, which I enjoy because the coaches will sit down with you to talk about your academics every week to know that you are on the road of success making sure that you are putting academics first then athletics.”

Kawamura’s favorite food is kal bi — from Sam’s Delicatessen, in particular — but Hiram College has an enrollment of 1,267 and no nearby Korean restaurants. Hiram is essentially a college town situated between Cleveland and Youngstown. The closest Korean restaurant is 32 miles away in Akron. There is Maggie’s Doughnuts and Gionino's Pizzeria two blocks from campus. A church and a post office are next door, and Hiram Cafe is kitty-corner.

Trees are everywhere in the village of Hiram. The college was known as Western Reserve Eclectic Institute until 1867.

Kawamura signed her national letter of intent at home with her mother, Florence, at her side. Education-1st hosted the event online rather than at the Honolulu Elks Lodge due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was streamed live on Zoom and Facebook Live at 6:20 a.m.

“At first it was very hard waking up, but once I was able to realize that I was about to sign my future away and commit to Hiram College, I was very excited to finally start my adult life,” Kawamura said.

2020 has been particularly difficult for the Kawamura family. Fayth's father, Spencer, died in April after battling an illness. 

"I feel like I coped very well. I mourned for a couple of days and after, I knew he was not in pain anymore. I coped with reality and kept moving," she said. "Everything is in place for a reason and I knew that I just have to grow from this." 

Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows:
“My favorite movie is Benchwarmers. I do not have any other favorite shows or movies because they are all so good.”

Top 3 food/snack/drink
1. Kal bi, Sam’s Delicatessen.
2. Shrimp Florentine, Buca Di Beppo.
3. Tonkotsu ramen, Ramen Man-Ichi.

Top 3 music artists
“I do not have any music artists or songs because there are too many and there is so many that is very good.”

New life skill
“Cooking! During quarantine, my mom (Florence) created a schedule where I would have to cook once a week and buy groceries, learn to budget with the money she gives me, and cook enough food for the family.

College major: Biological Engineering

Bucket list
“I want to visit Japan. I have always wanted to visit Japan ever since I was little because the food is awesome and it is cheaper there and everything is so cute! I just want to travel and visit places I have never been and enjoy the life I have been given.”

Time machine: what year, who would you like to meet, where to visit?
“1963, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (I want to) hear his ‘I Have a Dream’ speech in person. Washington D.C where the march and speech took place.”

Who will be the first to cry at the airport when you leave?
“I think my mom will cry first because I am her little baby and she will miss me, but of course I will miss her very much too.”

Shout outs
“I would like to thank my mother and my late father (Spencer) because they have let me become who I am by enrolling me in sports and letting me attend my games and practices. Allowing me to grow as a player and human. I would like to thank all the coaches that have coached me teaching me life lessons along the way that helped me grow as a person.”

Comments