Signing Day: Kamehameha's Keila Kamoku is an Ole Miss Rebel

For Keila Kamoku, scholar-athlete and slayer of fastballs, signing day was just another step toward her dream. 

The Kamehameha senior made her commitment to Mississippi official early Wednesday morning, signing her letter-of-intent along with dozens of student-athletes during the Education-1st event. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the signing ceremony was conducted online via Zoom and Facebook Live. Normally, the November event is held at the Honolulu Elks Lodge in Waikiki. 


The up-close look at each signee and family provided a unique view. Coach Asai Gilman of Education-1st and DB Tech Academy was the guest speaker, emphasizing the gratefulness each student-athlete has for years of assistance from parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents and friends.


“There’s a lot of sacrifices to support our young folks, from all of our family,” he said. 


For Kamoku, that includes daily workouts from ground balls in driveway to hitting off a tee to pumping iron. The slugging shortstop has a 4.0 grade-point average and a relentless work ethic in her craft. During the abbreviated softball season last spring, she hit a max of 125 pounds on the bench press. Over the weekend, Kamoku posted a video from a home workout. She benched 170 pounds. 


Signing day, she said, was surreal as her family and extended ohana gathered with her in the wee hours. 


“I feel like all eyes are on me. I’m shocked and surprised that it actually happened. This moment was already special. I think it feels the same for me because I’ve always had the mindset and drive to work for my spot in college. Nothing’s changed. It’s the start of a journey,” she said.  


Keila Kamoku signs her letter of intent with mom (Maile Gonzales) and dad (Kela Kamoku) 
by her side.


While Kawika Kane of Education-1st hosted the lively event online, Kamoku felt slightly apprehensive. Her table was set up outside, in the driveway, as the neighborhood wondered what was going on. 


“They were just staring at me, so I’m sure sure Zoom was more fun than in person. My neighbors didn’t realize what I was doing at 5:30 in the morning. Check-in was 5:45 and then everyone got on the phone and it started at 6:20,” she said. 


Initially, it was Minnesota that recruited Kamoku. Then the coach made a move to Ole Miss. 


“The best thing I like about their program is it’s family oriented structure. I like how they welcome people into the school. For me, there’s a lot of people who said, how cool is it to be from Hawaii,” she said. 


Kamoku plans to major in Business. 


“That’s been an interest for me in the past year or so. I could become my own boss. I try to set the tone as a role model for younger girls who are going to experience what I’m going through right now,” she said. 


It’s a long way to Oxford, Miss. Eventually, the day will come when Kamoku and her family go to the airport. 


“I think my grandma or my parents will the first to cry. My grandma was there all the way, she was there for me no matter what. My parents, I’m the first in my family to go to college,” Kamoku said. “I’m going to cry. There’s no doubt in my mind I’m going to cry when I leave.”


Keila Kamoku's offer list

Cal State Riverside

Hawaii  

LMU

Minnesota 

Mississippi

Nevada

North Carolina State

North Dakota

San Jose State

Texas

Washington


See the signees list here



Comments