Signing Day: Kenna Higa heading to Norfolk State

Kenna Higa's success is another happy memory for dad (Ward), mom (Pua), 

sister (Jamie) and brother (Zach). Photo courtesy of Higa ohana.


Kenna Higa is quite used to covering all corners on the diamond. 

Soon enough, the Kamehameha senior will be manning third base, first base and/or catcher at Norfolk State. Higa signed her letter-of-intent on Wednesday morning during the Education-1st signing event, which was held online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

"I am over the moon, and honored for the opportunity to continue playing softball at the next level. All the stress of being recruited is over," Higa said. 

The morning was a little different. Because it was streamed live on Zoom and Facebook Live, Higa and her family turned their home into a temporary studio. At 5 a.m.

"The waking up part wasn’t hard, it was the getting ready that was difficult because we had to set up the background," she said. "Now that I have signed, I no longer have to worry about what college I will attend. I can start to enjoy my time as senior even In the time of COVID. But I also, know that now I have to work harder than I did before."

Norfolk, Va., will be quite a trek for Higa. 

"When I first visited the school, it was a bit scary. But as soon as I stepped on campus, I was welcomed with open arms by the students and staff. Their school is a close-knit community, and I loved it! The first time I talked to the coach, he explained to me that they held themselves at a high standard on and off the field and wished to achieve great things every year," said Higa, who has a 4.1 grade-point average. 

The flight to the East Coast won't be for months. Higa believes her father, Ward, will be the first to cry at the airport. 

"I think it might be my dad. He and I have been on this road since I was in kindergarten and he has been my biggest supporter and coach," she said. 

Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. Charmed (original).

2. Umbrella Academy.

3. This Christmas 

Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Spam musubi.

2. Lomi salmon and poi.

3. Thai tea boba (Hana Tea). 

Top 3 music artists

1. Lewis Capaldi, "Forever." 

2. "Shallow," Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

3. "Hawaiian Superman," Mark Keali‘i Ho‘omalu.

New life skill: "Living with new people."

College major: "Business (not sure what concentration)."

Shout outs

Higa: "Thank you mom (Pua) and dad, for always being there for me. Jamie and Zach for being my siblings. My coaches for providing me with the knowledge I needed to get to the next level. And my friends and family for being apart of my life, thank you all!"

Comments