Speedy slugger Jadon Arakaki joins Huskers

Jadon Arakaki made it final on Wednesday, signing with the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Not everything in 2020 has been a downer.


‘Iolani’s Jadon Arakaki made sure of that, working at every opportunity to improve. The versatile position player and speedy slugger turned down several scholarship offers and signed with Nebraska on Wednesday. 


I feel really relieved to that know all my hard work paid off. I’m also really excited to get to work and play in Nebraska, and I’m super grateful to my family, coaches and friends for helping and supporting me along the way,” Arakaki said. 


He committed to the Huskers on Sept. 2 after considering opportunities from Cal Poly, San Diego, LMU, Hawaii, Fordham, Sacramento State and USF, among others. He will be a preferred walk-on, according to Omaha.com. 


In July, the 6-foot, 175-pound lefty batted .478 at the Hawaii Sandlot Classic with a slugging average of .739 and on-base percentage of .612. He also has potential as a pitcher. Matt Campos, helping out at the Sandlot Classic workouts, said Arakaki reached 92 mph on the mound. 


He stayed busy with mainland tournaments despite the challenges of navigating through the COVID-19 pandemic. It all came to a peak on Wednesday before sunrise. Education-1st organized the LOI signing event online for the first time via Zoom and Facebook Live. Signees were online and streaming by 6:20 a.m.


Lisa and Jay Arakaki watched as son Jadon signed with the University of Nebraska. 


“It wasn’t too bad waking up early for signing day. I just had to go to sleep earlier the night before,” he said. Not much feels different after signing the letter, but it’s just good to know that I know where I’ll be playing in college.”


One of the most notable island athletes to play at Nebraska was pitcher Shane Komine. The former Kalani hurler went 41-8 with an ERA of 2.84 as a Husker. 


“I love the fact that Nebraska makes their athletics a priority. Sports are a really big thing, and they have a really huge fan base,” Arakaki said. “As far as the coaches go, I know that they’ll be able to help me develop quickly coming from a successful programs like Texas A&M and Sam Houston State. I also believe that the program has the talent to compete at a really high level and compete for a national title.”


Arakaki has a 3.6 grade-point average and intends to major in Nutrition and Health Sciences. Departure to Lincoln, Neb., is approaching soon enough. 


If anyone were to cry when I leave, I think it’d be my mom (Lisa) because she cried a lot when my sister (Taylor) left, and I’m going to be the last child to go to college,” he said. 


Until then, Arakaki will get his cuts daily at Hawaiian Hardball, the batting cage shop owned by his father — and former ‘Iolani coach. 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. Ride Along 1 & 2.

2. Frozen.

3. All American.


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Sushi, Katsumidori Sushi.

2. Crunchy tacos, Taco Bell.

3. Flaming Hot Cheetos.


Top 3 music artists and favorite songs

1. Gunna, “The Way.”

2. Ariana Grande, “Suit and Tie” (radio edit version).

3. Justin Timberlake, “Uzi 223.”


New life skill: How to use a dishwasher


Bucket list

1. “I want to be able to dunk a basketball.”

2. “Buy a lifted Honda Fit.”

3. “Watch the Dodgers win a World Series in person.”

4. “Learn to surf.”


Time machine

1. “I’d want to meet Donald Trump.”

2. “Meet Mookie Betts.”

3. “I want to time travel to when coronavirus is gone.”


Shout outs 

Thank you to my family, friends and coaches. Thank you to my dad (Jay) for always coaching me and pushing me. Thank you to my mom for always supporting me on and off the field. 


“Thanks to my sister for helping me with school when I didn’t know how to do stuff, and for giving me advice about college and recruiting. 


“Thank you to Coach Kurt (Miyahira), Coach Bu (Brandon Toro), Coach Trent (Teruya), Coach Kenny (Patton), and all my other coaches who’ve helped me and supported me. 


“Shout out to Brady Hoshino for motivating me to be faster like him.”




Comments