Tausili Akana’s season in Utah ends with offer from OSU

Tausili Akana's gamble paid off this fall with a standout season at Wasatch High School, Utah.
Photo courtesy of Brandyn Akana. 

It was a calculated risk for Tausili Akana.

The Kamehameha sophomore could have sat and waited with the rest of the football community in Hawaii, hoping for a high school season in early 2021. Instead, he packed his bags and transferred to Wasatch High School in Heber City, Utah, where football was in motion and in its traditional fall slot. 

Staying with his uncle Stanton Akana's family — and two other cousins from the islands — Akana flourished in Utah 5A football. 

The Wasps lost in the state semifinal round, but Akana garnered another scholarship offer: Oklahoma State. 

"Every offer is unique and different.  Oklahoma State is my first Big 12 offer.  I love watching their team, especially on defense.  They put a lot of pressure on opposing teams," Akana said. "They see me as a Leo; able to rush off the edge or drop back and cover in space.  They have a great football history and legacy. Head Coach Mike Gundy takes a lot of pride on defense."

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound playmaker flourished at outside linebacker, and also played some running back. He now has nine scholarship offers: Utah, BYU, Hawaii, Arizona State, UNLV, Oregon State, Utah State and Nebraska along with Oklahoma State. The Cowboys' defensive staff has been in steady contact. 

"Coach Steve Coburn at Wasatch knows some of the staff at OSU.  He did a great job of talking with them and sending them film of me.  They love how I play, especially my size and speed," Akana said. 

Tausili Akana, and cousins La‘akea Kalama and Jarinn Kalama enjoyed the football season at Wasatch.

Wasatch was a great fit for Akana. 

"We lost (in the semifinals), but it was a great season.  It was fun to go deep into the playoffs in Utah.  I felt I got better and better as the season went on.  I learned so much and made many friends here in Heber City.  I got to play different positions on offense and defense," he said. "The coaching staff allowed me to play many positions: defensive end, outside linebacker, running back and special teams. I gained a lot of confidence, and got bigger and stronger.  I learned so much from the coaching staff, which will help me in the future.  Enjoyed playing football this season."

The future includes the same plan. 

"The plan is to return back to Hawaii. I will be able to return to Kamehameha. Hopefully, we have basketball season in Hawaii," Akana said. 

He will not be eligible to play football at Kamehameha this school year. He will, however, be grateful for the opportunity to play with his cousins at Wasatch. 

"Sending a shout out to Coach Steve Coburn and Uncle Stanton. I also want to recognize my teammates and staff at Wasatch, especially my two cousins Jarinn and La‘akea Kalama. Special shout out to Uncle Stu Carvalho and Coach Kawe Johnson," Akana said. "Can’t forget the young bucks back home on the North Shore."

Wasatch assistant coach Stanton Akana welcomed nephews Jarinn Kalama, La‘akea Kalama and Tausili Akana into his home when they transferred. At center is the oldest of the Kalama brothers, Nakoa.



Comments