Review: Jerry's Batch No. 7

It's been a few months since Jerry sent a new brew my way. Never had anything but good stuff for me, and I, the willing consumer, am always happy to oblige. His stuff is great. It's not surprising, since Jerry is A) a perfectionist, and B) passionate about home brewing.

Jerry's Makakilo Moons beer, Batch No. 7*
Appearance: 3.5
Aroma: 3.0
Flavor: 3.5
Texture: 3.5
Drinkability: 4.0

Overall score: 17.5 / 20.0

* Seventh batch according to my count, but surely not official.











Summary: This is probably the least viscous of the brews Jerry's brewed. It looks much like passion-orange juice syrup, but has a very thin consistency. It tastes smooth and almost like a beverage best had after a workout.

The flavor is slightly sweet, goes down quickly and makes me want drink the whole bottle at once rather than savor it.

Not much for carbonation, which is unusual in my experience. I've had a spectrum of flavors in Jerry's beers, including one that was chili-pepper HOT and tasty. This one may well be his best looking brew, but its lightness and sweet appearance might be more appealing to female drinkers. No aftertaste. What you smell and taste are what you get from drop 1 to the final sip.

This is a beer world of commercialized lagers -- not that I don't like Heineken or Steinlager -- so I don't know how many men would go for a brew that's so simple. I like this, though, with or without food. In this case, I had #7 with Portuguese sausage and Sriracha chili sauce. Those go better with a slightly bitter lager, but they go fine with #7, too.

There's no limit to what Jerry will produce next. He's a mad scientist in the lab. I'm ready for the next batch.

Comments