Agnes Bakery Malasadas at SHA



Malasadas by Agnes Bakery
Sacred Hears Academy Country Fair
$1 per malasada

The annual Country Fair at Sacred Hearts got a good shower this afternoon from above, but I managed to get a handful of Agnes Bakery malasadas. That's a major treat because the Kailua shop closed its doors two weeks ago after a half-century in business.

I'm not going to say these are better or worse than Leonard's, which has always been my favorite. Agnes' malasadas are smaller, and the "skin" is awesomely crunchy. Not mega crunchy, but more than a Leonard's malasada. It's nice. It almost looks like andagi, which is the Okinawan cousin and descendant of the malasada. This is a 4-star product, and at SHA, everyone is willing to wait 15-20 minutes in line because the malasadas are made to order on the spot. That way they're super fresh, super crispy and absorb all that powered sugar without melting too quickly.

Alas, this is yearly, and Agnes Bakery's time is gone. I'm glad I got to sample these malasadas at least once. If I'd known the malasadas were smaller I would've gotten more. I gave two away anyway, but I want more.

I also heard the roast chicken is exceptional, but I didn't get any. You have to get scripts before getting in line and I didn't get enough of those.





Comments