Rainbow Drive In: Chili Plate, Salmon Poke




Chili plate $7.75

Rainbow Drive In is less than a mile from home, but the constant traffic and ever-growing crowd there often make it a secondary destination for me. The longing, however, never ceases. Like a few hundred thousand people on Oahu (just a conservative guess), I love Rainbows chili plate. And I have loved it since the early 1980s.

It is one of the only times I actually eat macaroni salad. And I usually get a side of the Asian cole slaw. The back-and-forth of subtly spicy chili, the neutrality of white rice, the richness of mac salad and the crisp tartness of the slaw equal success on my taste buds.

I also stepped next door to their spot that has sesame salmon poke. A good combination for Super Bowl Sunday. It wasn't quite the same as spending the game with family, but getting work done with this for lunch was nothing to complain about.

LONG LIVE RAINBOW DRIVE IN!!!


Comments