Walters, Buckley and near perfection of Wild Rose


Wild Rose
Consolidated Kahala
Pupule rating: 3.8 (out of 4)

First off, I have seen too many films about singers, and the actors are obviously lip-syncing. But with every song, every verse, every whisper, Jessie Buckley is the real deal. Just to make sure, I checked later. She sang live on a CBS show the week Wild Rose opened. What a voice.

This was entirely on the shoulders of Buckley and the incredible Julie Walters. This had so many ways and opportunities to fall short, even fail. But it didn’t. Buckley, Walters and the actors who portray the children/grandchildren couldn’t be better cast.

I have always been and probably will always be a sucker for a story that involves a single mom and her kids. So a part of me couldn’t help expecting such a small cast with such a simplistic plot to be good, just not great. But Walters and Buckley, oh Lord... that’s another weak spot for me. A stern mother and a stubborn, grown daughter going at it, don’t mistake a lean construction of drama for any lack of unpredictability.

Wild Rose is not what most US movie fans would want in terms of sheer size and spectacle. If this had been written and engineered by Americans, the climax would have been quite different, my guess. Maybe there would’ve been a generic male figure to save her and become the kids’ de facto dad, and become Prince Charming. Thank God it didn’t go that route.

Though the essential question is about compromises, if you see this film, you’ll know what I mean when I say I wanted just a wee bit more for Rose-Lynn (Buckley). This massive dream in a a small, compact family carries a hefty emotional punch. Bring a few tissues for the ride. You won’t need the whole box, but be prepared. Or not.

#wildrosemovie

Comments