Kaling proves writing mastery in Late Night


Late Night
Consoldiated Kahala
Pupule rating: 3.4 (out of 4)

The options were Yesterday or Late Night. I try to avoid reviews entirely before seeing an interesting film, but in this case, I had already read about the entertaining, yet strange plot twist in Yesterday. Meanwhile, Late Night got a lot of rave reviews for Mindy Kaling's script.

She really does knock it out of the park here. Late Night isn't thick and deep like it would have been as a mini-series. No fault of Kaling's, though. There's not enough time to allow conversations to probe deeper, so the beat goes on. Quickly. But not so quick that we don't see main characters change over the course of this story.

Come on, John Lithgow and Emma Thompson? They go for the kill in this. No messing around, and that's why Late Night is not the typical comedy.

I'm glad I finally saw this. It's good enough that I might see it again eventually. I've only felt that way about a handful or so movies.

Comments