Postal Tour 2019: Hawi, HI 96719



It came as a surprise that Hawi Post Office closes at 1 p.m. these days. By the time I got there on my Hamakua/Kohala leg, it was way too late. So I got up the next morning and traced my tracks back to Hawi shortly after it opened at 9 a.m.

Along the way, I came across the Kamehameha Day parade, which started before Hawi town. I took photos and shot video as I walked about a half-mile. Those horses were impressive. Calm, strong and good-natured. I found the Hawi Post Office, painted a bright yellow along with an adjacent store. Almost impossible to miss.

I also stopped in at Minit gas station, which also sells the fried chicken I really liked more than a decade ago in Kawaihae. I walked, ate my chicken thigh and musubi. Good stuff, and now I had to get rolling to Kukuihaele, which would be open for only one hour. Between potential traffic, accidents or road work, I didn't want to take any chances. I just wanted to be there by 10:30 a.m. in case they opened early.





If they ever open Minit Stop on Oahu, uh oh...

Comments