Postal Tour 2019: Kapaau, HI 96755



From Kamuela, I opted to take the shorter, but more challenging route, Kohala Mountain Road. I'd driven it maybe twice in the past, usually going the longer way through Kawaihae. But this time, I enjoyed every bit. The cool air. The pastures. The trees. It was over too soon, but I didn't make it in time to catch Hawi Post Office, which I learned closed at 1 p.m.

That took me by surprise. But it makes sense. Kohala's population isn't growing. The high school's enrollment has shrunk over the decades. Hawi and Kapaau Post Offices are basically two miles apart. So I moved on. Kapaau was still open.

Given a massive budget, it would've been cool to see the post office in the home of King Kamehameha built like a mini-palace. But it is nothing like that. It is a generic building with parking on the back side. And it is busy. It's possible that this might be the only post office in the district one day. Hawi, like other post offices that have shortened hours, might not be built to last. But for now, there are two, and residents like it that way.









Comments