Postal Tour 2019: Keauhou, HI 96739





The trip to Keauhou was pure Kailua oceanside fun. I took my time down Alii Drive, which used to be my daily drive. Not much has changed, thankfully. The sight of crystalline hues of blue is healing. Then I arrived at Keauhou, parked at the mall, and rediscovered the post office. The postmaster is actually a contractor, and his day is busy. Yet, the post office also felt like a collectibles shop with posters and art everywhere. Even the entrance is different; there's a space for customers to sit down at tables and do their writing, paperwork, etc.

Doug, the man in charge, seemed to be one step ahead, a helpful soul who took a look at my postmark book and went back to show me something. He returned with a relic that is nearly eight decades old. More on that in the next post.

I was amazed at the letter. Then I was shocked that Doug then gave it to me. I wasn't looking to be a caretaker of anything this ancient. Or cool. But he trusted me. I left having made a new friend, walked into Keauhou KTA next door, and got some fresh ahi poke. Nothing like fresh fish from Kona. Then it was on to the final stop of the day, Holualoa.










Comments