Postal Tour 2019: Kukuihaele, HI 96727



Kukuihaele Post Office is the Bigfoot, the Yeti, the Bermuda Triangle of all my postal tours.

The first time, back in the 1990s, I think I got there. It's hard to remember because I lost that postmark book, and even then Kukuihaele's hours of operation were limited.

But this time, thanks to the helpful clerk at Honokaa Post Office, I got real information. Kukuihaele is not only still operating, but would be open 11 a.m. to noon. So I came back the next day, feeling like a hunter searching for prey. First, I had to make sure I didn't get lost.

I got lost. Kukuihaele does not show up on my Google Maps, but I don't begrudge Google Maps. It is only a tool, not a sentient being capable of evil. So I drove down that road, which is also the same route to Waipio Valley — wouldn't that be crazy if Waipio had a post office? Not really. It's a long hike down there. I've done it before. And it's insanely tiring getting back up.

I drove right past Kukuihaele PO, which doesn't have a flagpole, doesn't have bright colors and a big sign. Nope. I was all the way down by the art gallery roughly a mile away when I got the help I needed. I turned around and went back. The postmaster/clerk was Kim. Very nice, very friendly. She postmarked my letter. My postmark book. This was like seeing Bigfoot, then sitting down and having lunch with him (or her), talking about the good ol' days before the internet and email and texting, when a creature could walk the mountains and streams, scream out strange sounds for fun and nobody else would hear.





I was just stoked Kukuihaele hasn't shut down. In fact, Kim and quite a few other postal people were pretty sure it would be Ookala that would shut down. A few folks thought it already was. But seeing Kukuihaele operational was a nice boost to my hopes. I suppose all the mail that comes up from Waipio Valley ends up with Kim. Sometimes, she says, the incoming mail gets to Kukuihaele at 10:30 a.m., which is her opening time. Sometimes, it comes in around 11 a.m., hence the Honokaa clerk noting the 11 a.m.-noon hour of service.

I left with a bit of satisfaction, and a lot of gratitude. After Hawi and Kukuihaele, back to Kona for the final four stops.


Comments