Verdict on Via Gelato's Mountain Apple: PURE NOM

 

The first taste is mesmerizing. Two, three, four, five seconds of calm. Slight sweetness. Cold, of course. Then BA-BOOM! The pure core of that distinct Mountain Apple nectar, DNA, whatever you want to call it, explodes on the taste buds. Halfway through my large cup, that goes away, but for those first few spoonfuls, there's nothing like this. I might as well have been hiking through the peaks of the Koolaus in Hauula or Olomana, crunching on cool, ripe mountain apples.

I'd love to ask who the supplier for Via Gelato is, but I won't. Even if they could tell me, WHY MESS WITH PERFECTION. Not just the perfect Mountain Apple mouthfeel and flavor, but the mystery and glorious satisfaction after waiting nearly a week for a chance to finally experience this.

When I first arrived around 9:30 p.m. (closing time is 11 p.m. on Fridays), the line was out the door. It moved quickly enough, though.

So, in my limited (three) visits, here's how I rate the flavors I've tried.
1. Mango. This is another powerful weapon of goodness made from scratch, but it's just tapered off enough to be finishable in a large cup. Finishable is a word I just made up.

2. Lilikoi. This is a close second over Mountain Apple.

3. Mountain Apple

4. Black Sesame.

5. Vanilla Bean.

6. Pistachio.



Via Gelato
1142 12th Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816
Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. (closed Thursday)

Comments