Campbell LB/S/RB Peter Manuma commits to Hawaii



Peter Manuma could always run. 

Having a former Rainbow Warrior coach him didn’t hurt at all. Manuma committed to Hawaii on Friday, spurning an offer from Central Michigan. The tireless 6-foot-1 senior-to-be at Campbell has added at least 10 pounds to his frame. Listed at 175, Manuma played at 170, even 165 pounds last year, he said. Now at 180 pounds, he pencils in as a safety/linebacker for Hawaii.

“I was talking to the coaches a lot. They have a hybrid position, kind of like a nickel. I’ll still be in the box, still cover deep. I just feel it’s great because I’m close to home and I’ll still be able to get the college experience,” Manuma said on Friday. “Oh, my parents, everybody’s been happy for me. They told me the would support me.”

Queenie and Maiva Manuma Sr. won’t have to go far to see their youngest child play at the next level. Central Michigan would have been a long trek, particularly for Maiva, who is partially paralyzed after suffering a stroke two years ago. 

“That’s kind of what kind of led the decision, too,” Manuma said. “And I got two older brothers.”

Soares is also the Sabers’ defensive coordinator. 

“Coach Blaze asked me what made me commit and stuff like that,” Manuma said. 

Former Warrior linebacker Blaze Soares had an outstanding career at Castle before matriculating to Manoa, where he continued his stellar play. 

"It's a great opportunity. Staying home and playing in front of your family is a true blessing," Soares said on Saturday. "I'm happy for him to join the UH brotherhood. It's all about culture, unity and family. It's different when you play in front of the people of Hawaii. It's a special feeling." 

Manuma’s celebration begins soon. 

“I’m going to the beach,” he said. 

Monday through Friday, Manuma and his Saber teammates work out at a home gym. 

“It’s down the block, not that far. We go there every week day, just maintaining. We got to Coach Kawe (Johnson), TMF, in Hauula on Sundays,” Manuma said. “One of our teammates has a work van, so some of us catch ride.” 

Johnson, the former Star-Advertiser All-State defensive player of the year, was the previous defensive coordinator before stepping down in 2019. 

Campbell utilized Manuma’s versatility last season, shifting him to inside linebacker when injuries decimated the position. This fall, if there is a season, he will have added duties. 

“I’ll be playing running back. Two of our running backs graduated,” he said. “Defense, I’ll be playing outside. My sophomore year on varsity, I played some RB. We’ll be running RPOs.”

Manuma, who has a 3.0 grade-point average, is also interested in real estate. His previous plan to major in civil engineering is on the back burner. For now, his attention is on the bull’s eye. 

“State championship. We’ve got the best athletes,” he said. 

Soares has high regard for his shape-shifting defender. 

"I think Peter is special because he has unreal athletic ability and he closes very fast on opponents. He has very great instinct. He reminds me of Leonard Peters," Soares said. "A raw Leonard." 

Peter Manuma's lockdown staples
Top 3 shows/movies
Manuma: “I don’t really watch movies

Top 3 food/drinks
1. KFC. “I like the fried chicken, biscuits and wedges.
2. Water. 
3. Li hing mui gummy bears. “I get it from 7-Eleven.” 

Comments