Punahou LB Kahanu Kia's 9th FBS offer: Fresno State



Fresno State is the latest in a string of Mountain West Conference football programs to take notice of Punahou junior Kahanu Kia.

The Bulldogs offered the linebacker a football scholarship on Tuesday, following a path previously trekked by Hawaii, San Diego State, UNLV and Utah State of the MWC. Kia also has offers from the Pac-12’s Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Washington State. Arizona made its offer eight days ago. 

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound outside linebacker projects as an inside ‘backer at the next level. He also has not ruled out opportunities at Dartmouth and Princeton. 

Fresno State has made the rounds — via phone and social media — in the islands with defensive coordinator William Inge. 

“He is also the linebackers coach,” Kia said. “He called me once and we were just talking story. Then he called me back a week later, which was (Tuesday). I think he talked to Coach Kale (Ane) just before that.”

With nine FBS programs on the menu, Fresno State is among those who are a bit mysterious to Kia. 

“Honestly. I don’t know too much about them. I feel like I’m grateful for every opportunity, but I don’t know. It’s hard with coronavirus. If I had a chance to visit there, I probably would, but I don’t think I’ll probably have that chance,” he said. 

In the meantime, Kia gets his online classes and homework done early, then searches the land for opportunities. On Wednesday afternoon, his mother went to Costco and he went to Alexander Field hoping to find a spot to do some drills. 

“I’m literally walking looking for a field to train at,” he said by phone. “I tried to see if Punahou was open, but they closed the gates.” 

Kia eventually wandered around long enough to find a place where he could work. He’s not the only student-athlete with a case of cabin fever. 

“I have cleats. I don’t need cones to do the drills I need to do. Sprints, conditioning, linebacker drills,” he said. “I’ve been doing the same workout for the past month. My dad (Nate) gave me a new workout recently. I had to switch it out.

Top 3 lockdown shows
1. Undisputed
2. Speak For Yourself
3. Football Life (Youtube)

Top 3 lockdown foods/snacks
1. Peanut butter jelly sandwich
2. Grilled cheese sandwich
3. Banana bread (made by mom, Emmalei)

Comments